Everyone should have rules to live by
24/06/2017 § Leave a comment
Update: I’m running Linux Mint 18.2 MATE (64-bit) exclusively now, although I did install WINE, a free and open-source Windows compatibility layer, thinking I’d need Overdrive application to read eBooks. My problems with the OS seizing up, GRUB going wacky, and occasionally losing X.org are gone. I’d hoped for some Bluetooth compatibility with LM 18.2 but I’m not sure my old laptop has the driver for Bluetooth capability. I just unloaded all my Ottawa, Gatineau, Vancouver and Victoria pics from my phone to a PC with Bluetooth technology. I don’t have any problems so far, however. Files don’t take 3 hours to load, or even 13 seconds.
Update update: I don’t have WINE installed anymore.
I am taking Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE (32-bit) for a test spin. I’ve tested my hard drive many times over the past month: my laptop’s battery is at 52% lifespan, I’ve run
smartctl long and short, run diagnostics three times in the past week, updated the BIOS twice within the month, and still memory leaks are hanging up my PC. I’ve also backed up my files twice this month. If I go ahead with an upgrade it’ll be to 18.1 64-bit Linux Mint MATE.
“Nuke it from orbit!” Maybe I’ll have to. So many things I’d like to nuke from orbit. However, I’m observing Rule #2. It is a good rule. Some people assume that if the other person doesn’t volunteer her own sorrows after listening to another, they must not have any, or that they are lesser in impact and stress than their own.
I have Windows 7 on this machine though: it’s a dual boot. Should I just abandon Windows 7 (really don’t want to) and dedicate the whole laptop to Linux, with Virtualbox VMWare handling other linux distros?
Anyhow, RULES TO LIVE AND LOVE BY! These are “The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth”
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm little children.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.